A Brief History
The first Protestant missionaries came to the Philippines in June 1901, and the Christian and Missionary Alliance, per “Mission Comity Agreement”, was given Sulu Archipelago and Western Mindanao to occupy, including Davao, Cotabato and Zamboanga. These were the most difficult areas to reach with the gospel then, mostly among Muslim and animistic territories.
The first Alliance missionary ever sent was Miss Ellen White, but it was a short lived missionary stint because she left soon after marrying a man from another denomination. The next missionary sent was John A. Mckee (1902-1903), a soldier who had been stationed in the Philippines. Along with a friend, his plan was to start a vocational program among the Muslims and other tribes, but his companion returned home shortly after they arrived, and McKee met a tragic death the year after.
Some independent missionaries also came, and they later joined the Alliance work here in the Philippines. Among them were Charles Gustaf Carlson and William Bell, David and Hulda Lund, Robert A. Jaffray and many others. The first ever evangelical chapel was built in Tetuan, Zamboanga in 1902, and two years later, a school for boys and girls, named Ebenezer School (which late emerged into a Bible College) was established.
After World War II, Rev. Ralph E. Bressler gathered all the local workers for the first ever National Workers Conference on February 7-9, 1947. Thirteen local self-supporting churches were then organized into what is known today as The Christian and Missionary Alliance Churches of the Philippines (CAMACOP).
The first elected President was Rev. Jeremias Dulaca, who served the young denomination for ten years, 1947-1957. The Rev. Florentino de Jesus Sr. was elected as the second President for the next three years (1957-1960), Rev. Dulaca was again re-elected as the third President in 1960, but he served only for two years for he died in September 1962.
Rev. Leodegario Madrigal then Vice-President, took over the Presidency and served as President until 1966. Rev. Vicente Pada became the fifth President (1966-1972), followed by Rev. Leo Madrigal again, having been re-elected as the sixth President of the denomination (1972-1978). It was during this time that CAMACOP has experienced its largest growth rate, from 400 organized churches in 1972 to 800 by 1978.
CAMACOP was indeed greatly blessed with gifted and dedicated men who were able to steer our denomination to what it is now today. These men include Dr. Benjamin P. de Jesus (1978-1989), Dr. Valmike B. Apuzen, Sr. (1989-1997), Dr. Rodrigo D. Tano (1996-2001), Dr. Jose C. Dalino, Sr. (2001-2005) and Rev. Reniel Joel A. Nebab (2005 up to present).